Palmerston North to Wellington commuter train
The Capital Connection is a long-distance commuter train that travels weekdays between Palmerston North and Wellington.
Departing Palmerston North at 6:15 am, the train stops at Shannon, Levin, Otaki, Waikanae, and Paraparaumu before arriving in Wellington at 8:20 am. Find your fare price.
Managed by local councils and operated by KiwiRail, this service does not operate on public holidays.
Capital Connection fares
For current fares, please view the fare guide.
The cheapest way to travel on the Capital Connection is by purchasing a monthly travel pass or ten-trip pass.
Tickets can be purchased from:
From 1 July 2023, under a government initiative, selected groups will receive a 50% concession rate on public transport.
The student age limit will be raised to 25, and additional benefits will be provided for children under 14.
- Children 13 and under – FREE.
- Under 25’s (14 – 24) – 50% off standard fares.
- Full-time studying Tertiary students with a current Tertiary ID - 50% off standard fares.
- Community Service card holders - 50% off standard fares.
- Total Mobility users - 50% off standard fares.
- Super Gold card holders - 50% off standard fares.
Appropriate ID must be carried if you intend to travel on concession fares.
- Baggage allowance is two items per person, maximum weight 20kg per item.
- Size must be no more than 200 linear cm (height plus length plus width)
- Hand baggage may be taken on board, with larger items stored in the baggage van.