Easter and ANZAC Day 2023:
- Services will not operate on Good Friday (Friday 7th April), Easter Monday (Monday 10th April) and ANZAC Day (Tuesday 25th April)
Half-Price fares until June 2023
The Capital Connection commuter service is included in the government's public transport initiative to reduce fares by 50% until 30 June 2023.
For more information, see our see our FAQ document
Tickets & Cash Fares Only
Snapper Cards are NOT accepted on Capital Connection:
- Paper tickets, including monthly and ten-trip passes, can be purchased on board
- Credit cards can be used in the onboard café
Covid Protection Status
There are no mandatory requirements in operation.
However, we do recommend using a face mask for your own protection and request that you do not travel if you have any Covid-19 symptoms.
Wellington to Palmerston North commuter train
The Capital Connection long-distance passenger train is a commuter service that operates on weekdays between Palmerston North and Wellington.
The train leaves Palmerston North at 6.15 am, stopping at Shannon, Levin, Otaki, Waikanae, Paraparaumu and arriving into Wellington at 8.20 am.
The Capital Connection service is run by local councils and operated by KiwiRail.
COVID-19 Protection Framework safe travel requirements
The COVID-19 Protection Framework enables the Capital Connection to run safely at all times. Please follow these simple guidelines to help us all stay safe:
- Face masks are mandatory under Orange and Red conditions and are highly recommended under Green;
- Face masks may be only be removed to eat, drink, or take medication;
- Do not leave used face mask on the train;
- If you require a face mask, then please ask the onboard crew;
- Leave space between you and other passengers wherever possible - however, sitting next to other passengers is permitted;
- Check the colour applicable to your travel and any requirements or restrictions before travelling by checking the Unite Against COVID-19 website;
- Be kind and patient with each other and transport staff, especially drivers and crew;
- Practice good hygiene and follow Ministry of Health advice. This includes washing and drying your hands thoroughly with soap and water (or hand sanitiser if soap and water not available), coughing and sneezing into your elbow, not touching your face, and wearing a face mask;
- Plan ahead, and allow extra time to ensure your journey is as comfortable as possible;
- Stay at home if you’re unwell or may have COVID-19.
- Do not travel if you:
- have been requested to self-isolate/quarantine
- have symptoms of COVID-19
- are awaiting COVID-19 test results
Staying up to date
For latest arrival and departure times:
- Call 0800 ARRIVAL (0800 277 482) and select option 7
For general enquiries email:
Text alert service:
Capital Connection fares
The cheapest way to travel on the Capital Connection is by purchasing a monthly travel pass or ten-trip pass.
For current fares, please view the fare guide.
Tickets can be purchased from:
- Wellington Railway Station - Bunny Street (View Map)
- Waikanae Station - Main Road (View Map)
- Paraparaumu Station, Amohia Street (View Map)
- Palmerston North i-SITE - The Square, Palmerston North (View Map)
Alternatively, you can purchase your ticket on board.
- Metlink tickets and school passes are not accepted on the Capital Connection
- Seats are not guaranteed
- Fares are subject to change without notice
Discounted concession fares are available for:
- Children aged 5–15 years inclusive
- Full-time Secondary students in uniform or with a current school ID
- Full-time studying Tertiary students with a current Tertiary ID
- SuperGold card holders
- Mobility Card holders
Appropriate ID must be carried if you intend to travel on concession fares.
Bicycles can be conveyed on the Capital Connection in the baggage van subject to space availability. Please make yourself known to the Train Manager as they will place your bicycle on board.
The Capital Connection is fitted with a hoist/lift to assist passenger access. Please make yourself known to a member of the crew or station staff if you require assistance boarding the train.
- Baggage allowance is two items per person, maximum weight 20kg per item.
- Size must be no more than 200 linear cm (height plus length plus width)
- Hand baggage may be taken on board, with larger items stored in the baggage van.