Supporting our communities
We connect with hundreds of communities across New Zealand, from major cities and bustling suburbs to farming towns and rural settlements.
And we love to support the happy faces we see along our journeys by donating free journeys for charitable auctions and school events.
If you are a school or small registered charity connected with our journeys, then please apply below.
- for an individual and/or any one family.
- for political, advocacy or religiously affiliated organisations.
- for organisations that are deemed (at our sole discretion) to be controversial or potentially controversial.
- for organisations whose programmes, policies, activities, goals or causes may reflect negatively on our company.
- for any organisation that has already received a travel voucher during our current financial year (1st July to 30th June).
- submitted by a person(s) who is not authorised by the organisation to represent it.
- for support of an event, activity or fundraiser which involves danger or risk.
- for international organisations, projects or activities.
- for groups that do not reach the wider community.
- for the operational or salary expenses of an organisation.
- for organisations associated with tobacco, drugs, alcohol or other harmful products or substances.
- for organisations who qualify for nationally funded social programmes.
- In addition to the above, KiwiRail may exclude any application from consideration for any reason it considers relevant, in its sole discretion.
- Support The Great Journeys of New Zealand’s local community in a way that helps them help themselves and delivers measurable benefits to the community. For example, you may use a travel voucher as a prize for a fundraising event (such as a charity auction or raffle) to fund improvements to infrastructure (e.g. a playground).
- Reach the wider community.
- Support our brands in a positive way.
We keenly accept all manner of applications from New Zealand's charitable and educational organisations for non-commercial fundraising events.
However, we will not accept the applications for the following:
We review all applications that meet our eligibility criteria and the decision whether or not to grant a travel voucher is at our sole discretion. Unfortunately, it is not possible to grant travel vouchers to all applicants and priority is given to applications that:
No. The Great Journeys New Zealand aims to support the wider community and positively contribute to as many people as we can. Therefore, we restrict travel voucher allocations to one per organisation per financial year so our support can reach more people.
However, if your event or fundraiser has been cancelled and you have returned the voucher you may re-apply for another travel voucher in that financial year to go towards another event.
Once we have considered your application and made a decision, you will receive an e-mail before the 15th of the following month. If your application is successful, the voucher will be sent to you via email.
Yes. If your application is successful, we will send you logos along with a travel voucher via email. We encourage you to promote your event alongside our brand logos using either printed collateral or promotion via your social media channels.
Note: If we request, you must cease the use of our name and logo and must not use our name or logo in such a way as to imply any ongoing endorsement or partnership between your organisation and The Great Journeys of New Zealand or any of our service brands (Northern Explorer, Interislander, Coastal Pacific and TranzAlpine).