Check in before boarding
A quick check-in makes an easy and enjoyable start to the journey. So please read through our Check-in & Luggage information.
Most importantly, pack a small bag with everything you'll need for the day. This is because all wheeled cabin bags, large bags, backpacks and suitcases will be checked into our Luggage Carriage
You'll find each of our stations presents a slightly different Check-in experience, so please familiarise yourself with the details for your departure station prior to arrival.
Check In Baggage
All wheeled cabin bags, large bags, and suitcases will be checked in to our secure Luggage Carriage for the entirety of the journey. This is because we have glass shelves with skylights above them which are designed to optimise the viewing experience - and you definitely don't want to obscuring the views with your luggage.
Our Luggage Check-in process is as follows:
- Attach Luggage Labels for your destination station during Check-in
- Take your bags to the Luggage Carriage for loading
- Retain the Luggage Label stub as a receipt
- Collect your bags from the Luggage Carriage at the end of your journey
Pack a bag for the journey
We highly recommend packing a small bag or handbag filled with essentials to take aboard the train for the journey.
Things to consider packing include:
- Wallet/purse (for the Scenic Café)
- A jacket (for the viewing carriage)
- Mobile phone
- Medication / inhaler
Carry-on bag allowance
To maximise scenic views and natural light coming through our glass shelves and skylights, we ask all passengers to keep their belongings to a minimum.
Carry-on baggage should be limited to a jacket and small bag or handbag. All wheeled cabin bags must be checked in.
Each Scenic Class passenger fare includes the following allowance:
- 1 x Large checked bag or suitcase
- maximum weight of 23kgs
- maximum volume* of 158 linear cm (62”)
- 1 x Cabin bag
- wheeled and/or hard-sided suitcases must be Checked in (cannot be taken aboard)
- maximum weight of 7kgs
- maximum volume* for the cabin bag is 118 linear cm (46.5”)
- 1 x Small bag or handbag
- for taking important personal items aboard, including any fragile or perishable items, money, jewellery and valuables
- 1 x Small infant bag
- if you have an infant with you, you may bring an additional small bag for the journey
- please note: infants do not get any luggage allowance (see below)
Additional Luggage Information
If your Luggage includes any overweight, oversize or sporting item, your options are below.
You can buy one additional item of Luggage per person with a maximum weight of 23kgs (50lb) and a maximum volume of 158 linear cm (63”) may be purchased for $20.
Overweight - more than 23kg
For safety reasons, we do not accept bags that weigh more than 23kg. If your checked bag is more than 23kg (50lb), then you can purchase a re-pack bag for $20 to repack your Luggage to the allowable weight limit of 23kg. You will then need to check the additional bag in as Additional Luggage and pay the excess luggage charge of $35.
If your cabin-sized bag exceeds 7kg, you can purchase an additional Luggage allowance for $35.
Oversized - exceeds maximum linear volume
If the length, width and height of your bag add up to more than 158cm (62") or 118cm (46.5”), then you will need to buy a re-pack bag for $20 to repack your Luggage to the allowable dimensions. This cost is additional to the $20 additional Luggage allowance charge.
Bikes and Scooters need to be added at the time of booking. Our Luggage Carriages have limited capacity, and the number of bikes we can carry may vary by service. Please contact us for details.
You don't have to deflate the tyres, but bicycles can only be accepted as Checked Luggage if:
- Handlebars are removed or turned sideways
- Pedals are removed or turned in
- Panniers removed
- Helmets removed
- Accessories removed
- Free of mud / dirt
- Label your bike with your name and phone number
The cost to carry your bike is $20 and bike with trailers (max 1, subject to availability) is $50.
We are unable to carry tandem bikes on our services.
E-bikes and E-Scooters
E-bikes and e-scooters must be clean, undamaged and factory produced (not modified) to be accepted aboard our trains.
You need to book the following items when you make your booking. You can call our Contact Centre to do this if you prefer.
- Walking frames
- Wheelchairs, Powerchair and Mobility Scooter
- Maximum combined weight (passenger and chair) 364kg
- Maximum length 1295mm (51”)
- Maximum width 762mm (30”)
See our Accessibility page for more information.
When travelling with an infant, you are eligible for one additional small carry-on bag (max 7kg). However, you are not eligible for any additional Checked Luggage other than two items from the below list for every infant in your group:
- Pram, stroller or buggy
- Car seat
- Bassinet or port-a-cot
These additional two items must be checked into the Luggage Carriage and cannot be taken aboard.
Bringing a car seat may seem a little strange, but if your infant is unable to sit upright then it can become uncomfortable holding them on your lap all day.
Infants are not allocated a seat, so if you wish to bring a car seat, you must book a child seat in advance.
Your car seat must:
- Be in safe working condition
- Be able to seat your child with their arms and thighs within its frame
- Fit within your seats cushion base
For safety, your car seat can’t block access to the aisle or be placed on the tables. These must be kept on the seat.